Tuesday, March 18, 2008

500m Nonstop!

Okay, this post is just plain self-satisfied happiness. All you good swimmers out there will scoff, but today I swam 500 meters without stopping. A trivial achievement to many, I know, but given that four months ago I couldn't swim 25, it's a big deal for me.

To be fair, it was alternating freestyle and backstroke (25m of each), but the key was that I didn't stop. Even when I thought I was going to pass out, I kept going, and finished it! That's the distance I need to swim for the Charlottesville Sprint Tri, and half the distance needed for the Breezy Point Tri. It's still a long way to go before June 1st, but it's the most progress I've made so far!

It WAS a little disconcerting the way the life guard (Mirjana, three-time Olympic swimmer for Macedonia) was looking at me, with a very concerned "Is he going to pass out" look. But she smiled when I was done.

2 comments:

Ben said...

That's awesome! Great job with the swimming progress.

ctwardy said...

Yay!