Saturday, December 1, 2007

Charlottesville Men's Four Miler

It was only my second actual race, but it went pretty well. It was a chilly morning (about 34 degrees at race start), but the cold was good once I got going. I ran four miles in 34:11 (my official time was 34:34, but I started pretty far back, so I timed it from actual cross of start line to finish line). I was hoping for 32 minutes, but all in all I'm reasonably happy with it. Finished 153rd out of 281, and 17th of 28 for my age group, so overall a fairly average, middle-of-the-pack finish.

It was a bit disheartening to be about half a mile from the turnaround and see two kids about eight years old already running back. But it did motivate me to keep going. And I did beat my father-in-law Jack (in picture). Okay, he's 73, but he's been a runner since he was a kid. And if I can't beat the eight year olds, I can still beat Grandpa! (I've got standards ... they're just really low). Though seriously, I hope I can even finish four miles when I'm that age, much less come in under 40 minutes (which he did, and won his age group -- Go Grandpa!)

(Please help out with a donation to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society through my fundraising page -- Thanks so much!)

1 comment:

ctwardy said...

That's not bad at all. If you're middle of the pack on all 3 events, you're, uh, in the running. As it were.